Books I Read: The Love Hypothesis


The first month of the new year is almost over. I've started making an effort to read again since I feel like I have more time now and I want to be more productive. Anyway, I've been meaning to share about the book I recently finished reading at the beginning of the month that I started reading last year. Sadly, it took me a while to finish this book because I ended up spoiling myself, and honestly, I don't remember anyone telling me about the trigger warning.

I initially planned to read or finish the entire book in 3–5 days, or the entire month of December if I got busy. I set a deadline for myself because the previous book I read before this was a difficult read that took me five months to complete. I'm also thinking of writing a review about it, so I hope you look forward to it too.

Anyhow, just like The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo and my other book finds, I discovered The Love Hypothesis through the booktok community on TikTok. I've heard positive feedback; everyone was excited about it and recommended it. Plus, hey, it's the fake dating trope. I was swayed and eventually purchased the Book of the Month hardcover edition. *cough* Where are my hardcover-loving friends?

The Love Hypothesis is the debut novel of the Italian neuroscience professor, Ali Hazelwood. It is a contemporary romance novel set in modern America. Which story revolves around the third-year Ph.D. candidate, Olive Smith, and how she ended up kissing and fake-dating a young, hotshot professor—and well-known ass, Adam Carlsen?

I know you are feeling kilig right now, just like me. As much as I hate to spoil the fun, this review may contain some mild spoilers. Read at your own discretion.

The trigger warning for this book is what I want to mention first. I hope I'm not overreacting about it. I mean, I have read and watched worse than what happened, but still, I was not expecting that it was going to be the plot twist of the story. The story contains an attempted sexual assault. I don't want to sound hypocritical, but I know Olive did that too in the first chapter, but it was out of panic, an unintentional action for which she took responsibility and was willing to accept the consequences. Unlike that a**hole, he intentionally wants to sexually assault Olive and blackmail her. I just don't like it when I'm reading something light and it turns out to be dark, especially when it involves sexual assault. What surprised me the most was that no one from the BookTok community bothered to talk about it or even mention it. I do read or watch things that may contain heavy themes, but I just have to mentally prepare myself. If you are like me, this might be the trigger warning you need if you haven't read The Love Hypothesis.

The second thing I want to mention is how overhyped this book is. There, I said it. Please don't hate me; I honestly liked the story, but I just don't see the hype. The book is easy to read, and I sometimes bump into unfamiliar words, which make sense since the story is set in academia, which, if my memory serves me right, is the first for me.

The entire plot revolves around the two main characters pretending to date each other until one of them ultimately acknowledges their feelings for the other person and tries to keep them hidden out of fear of losing what they currently have. Without realising it, the other person has been madly in love with them since the first time they met.

The story is even charming, sweet, and romantic. It will surely make you kilig and giggle, but it is predictable. I can't help but compare it to other contemporary romances I have read before. I honestly think those books deserve the same attention or more than this one is getting.

I guess I know why this book is so popular: it is because of Dr. Adam Carlsen. Who or what else could it be? I could use an Adam Carlsen. I don't want to spoil much about him; you have to read it and you will know why Adam Carlsen is so great.

It has an open ending; I wish the author had talked more about the current situation before jumping ahead to the future. It's definitely an easy read, which I like. Although it's overrated, I still suggest this book if you're searching for something to pass the time.

Overall, I'm giving this book 3.8 stars. Ali Hazelwood's other works are definitely on my list to read, although I doubt I'll get to them anytime soon.

That concludes my book review for the first month of the year. I'm crossing my fingers that this year I'll be able to read and write more. Aside from writing book reviews, I'm hoping that in the coming days I will be able to take action on the goals I have set for myself.

I know it may be late, but still, happy New Year. May we all have a productive and prosperous 2023.

4 comments

  1. Dear Lovely AuthorπŸ’š,

    Please do continue writing and hopefully you can write about your life as what you are and to the people around you. Thank you for the inspiration and the hype 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thank you for reading and leaving a comment on my post. I'm also excited to write and share more about things I love, aside from books, of course. I hope you continue to stick around here. 


      Much Love,
      Van πŸ’–

      Delete
  2. This book is on my list too! Im glad i came across this book review. Now I'm having second thoughts about reading this book,nonetheless kilig is still a plus πŸ˜… thank you for the honest review; it's much appreciated in the midst of the hype. Please write more reviews…..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Oh no, please don't be discouraged. I still recommend the book, even though it's not much to my liking. Please give it a try. Cross-finger, I'll write more reviews in the future. Thank you for supporting me.


      Much Love,
      Van πŸ’–

      Delete

xoxo, @_vanknight