Books I Read: Twinkle, Twinkle by Tori Tadiar


Now that the year is almost halfway through, I'm beginning to doubt whether I could accomplish the Goodreads reading challenge I set early this year. Honestly, I was quite disappointed that I was not able to achieve my reading goal last year, even though I had the time and resources to do so. That's why this year I have decided to take it easy and read at least 15 books, half of my initial goal last year. I know that following fellow bookworms online could be a little intimidating. This time I reminded myself that reading is not about how many books you have read by the end of the week, month, or year. It should be about reading the books you love and enjoy, taking yourself on a new adventure every time you start reading.

Though it feels like I'm cheating when I add short novels or graphic novels that would only take me less than an hour to read to my goal, it already feels like a big accomplishment as my (physical) TBR eventually decreases, even if it never does as we keep adding more to our never-ending list.

One of my most recent reads was a graphic novel called Twinkle, Twinkle by Tori Tadiar. Tori is a local artist from the Philippines whose name is making waves on the international scene. She is also set to publish a new graphic novel series next year under Disney Hyperion called Highsummer, whose story will be about Philippine mythology.

I first discovered her works through her graphic novel called Sagala, which I have yet to read despite having had a physical copy for years now. I just remember scrolling around the local online store, and it was love at first sight. I didn't know anything about Tori's work or her story-telling techniques and style. I was just hypnotised. Without hesitation, I add it to my cart, and the next thing I know, it's sitting on my bookshelf, waiting to be read.

Sagala by Tori Tadiar

I was over the moon when she announced that she would be publishing her second graphic novel, Twinkle, Twinkle. There is something about her illustrations that I couldn't point out that was just an instant buy for me. However, I was on a book buying ban so I didn't get the physical copy as soon as it was launched because life happened, and I wanted to read the other physical books I have before I bought new ones.

Anyway, that's just another lie we bookworms always tell ourselves because last year, during the Cebu Literary Festival, I finally got my copy together with some other books from local artists.

Since I never got a chance to share about Cebu Lit Fest here. Here are some photos we took during the event.


Twinkle, twinkle highlights the story of the twins Alta and Signa, who work at the theatres until dawn, day in and day out. It's a grind until the next starfall, when they break their routine and use a magical ability to see and catch falling stars, hoping to sell the stardust off to a mysterious patron. But when up-and-coming singer Hanan is catapulted into stardom, the twins are pulled into the orbit of Manila's star-studded nightlife and discover that catching falling stars is a lot more than they bargained for. - Goodreads


The illustrations were just magical, and aside from that, the story made me emotional. It was an easy read, and the plot twist was heartbreaking. I'm sorry to spoil you. I'm rating it 4.5 stars out of 5. I highly recommend that you also read it.

Well, that's it for my quick book recommendation/review. See you on the next post.

0 comments

xoxo, @_vanknight