Books I Read: I Decided to Live as Me by Soo-Hyun Kim


I've been so stressed out at work lately that I have more time to read than ever. Maybe I'm just trying to get away from reality. I don't know. I can't even believe I'm able to read more than one book at the same time. Don't ask me if I get confused about what I'm reading or how I did it. All I know is that I did it, and I'm so close to completing my reading goal this year, and we are still in the middle of the year. 

I guess my stress level has gone to the point that I don't care what I read anymore. I mean, for ages, I have been trying to avoid reading self-help or motivational books. Don't get me wrong, I read all sorts of genres (I even read academic books for fun), though I'm more into fiction or romance. It's just that I feel like all self-help books are the same, and it just reminds me of how imperfect we are as humans. Though I had a few self-help books that really helped me when I was going through something in life, most of the self-help books oddly felt like they were unrealistic and too restrictive for me.

You should just go ahead according to your inner compass: the data base of your past and the notes of your failures.

Anyhow, I Decided to Live as Me, my first Korean book, is one of the self-help books that have been collecting dust on my shelf for years now. It's written and illustrated by Soo-hyun Kim and translated by Kristina Carla Rico and Kyung-min Bae. Its first ever English translation was released by Apop Books, a Philippine-based publisher imprint. I was one of the many who got it on its first release around 2020, and I remember it being so popular that they released new batches right after the pre-order period. I think one of the reasons for its popularity at that time is that a member of the popular Korean Group called BTS has read and shared about this book on SNS, and of course, the BTS army wants to have a copy. Thanks to Apop Books, we finally have the English translation.

This book is essentially a list of things we could do as adults in order to exist in an indifferent world. What I truly appreciate about it, as the author also noted, is that it offers sympathy and inspiration to us ordinary individuals rather than pointing out our flaws.

You don't live to be understood by these narrow-minded people, and your life is yours alone.

I especially love the first two parts of the book, which essentially outline how we ought to live our lives with respect and in a way that allows us to continue being just as we are. Plus, I kind of went overboard with my annotations. I mean, there were so many quotable lines. Unfortunately, the last four parts were kind of flat. I'm not saying it was bad; it's just that there were some topics that did not sit well with me. I don't know. It could be because of cultural differences and values.

Although this is not the best self-help book I have ever read, I still think you should read it. I'm also eager to read the author's other works, which were also released by Apop Books.

Maybe I will write about it here too when time allows me to. Anyway, thank you for staying with me until the end. We'll surely write more reviews or recommendations. Also, if you have any recommendations for me, feel free to leave a comment below.

0 comments

xoxo, @_vanknight