Southern Serenity: Weekend Escapade from Dalaguete Mountains to Argao Beaches

Writing has always been a passion of mine, and I never imagined the day would come when I'd be writing about something I truly love: traveling. It's been almost two years since I decided to revive this old blog of mine. At the time, I didn't put much thought into it; I simply needed an outlet to share my random musings.

Though traveling to faraway places is quite impossible at the moment, I feel grateful that I've been slowly exploring nearby destinations and finding joy in little adventures close to home. Maybe it's because I also made it a goal that this year, will be the year I stop merely surviving and start truly living life. So, let me share with you how my crazy adventures for 2024 began.
It was early this year when my colleagues and I had a crazy idea to get out of our comfort zones and try new things. That's one of the many things I like about them—we share common interests.

Since most of us are off on the weekend, we organized an out-of-town trip to the south of Cebu. Our first stop is the city of Dalaguete, and our goal is to conquer Cebu's highest peak - OsmeƱa Peak. As a reward, we will also be enjoying the shores of Argao. This is also to help us unwind and de-stress after a long week of grind.

Around 2:30 a.m., we met up at Cebu South Bus Terminal, trying to catch the earliest trip going to Bato since Dalaguete is just along the way. The majority of passengers were tourists headed to the white sand beaches and to see the whale sharks.
Honestly, the bus ride was a little unpleasant for me, possibly because I didn't get enough sleep, but partly because I couldn't sleep on the bus due to the annoying noise coming from the back. I probably looked grumpy the whole ride.

When morning came, we started to feel the excitement and thrill as we witnessed the beautiful sunrise over the sea. However, our excitement was cut short when we approached Dalaguete. It started raining, and Mr. Sun was nowhere to be found. We felt disappointed because we had already missed the sunrise over the mountain, and now we might not get to see the whole view because of the rain and fog.
As true adventurers, the gloomy sky and rain didn't stop us. We were just hoping for a miracle that the sky would clear up when we finally started our hike. When we got off the bus, we made a quick stop at the convenience store to grab a light snack, unsure if there would be any food stalls when we reached the foot of the peak.

Just beside the convenience store was the terminal for motorbikes, where we hopped on to get to our destination. The motorbikes were wide enough to fit two or three passengers, depending on body frames and weight, so we rode in pairs, and I was with Mia. The journey was quite lengthy, and upon arrival, we found ourselves soaking wet and cold, but we're not complaining – after all, this is just part of the adventure.

You don't have to worry about the ride back to the city center, as the motorbike will wait for you to finish your hike and will take you back to the city. As for the transportation fee, it costs 150php per ride per person.
When we arrived, it was only natural for us to take a group photo with the team. Afterwards, we headed to the tourist information center to register. An environmental fee of 25 pesos per person was required. Since we arrived as a group, we were obliged to have at least two guides. Despite our attempts to decline, they insisted, particularly due to the foggy and rainy conditions, even though most of the group had been here before.

On this hike, you really get to see who needs to spend more time outdoors. Most of the *cough* physically fit folks charged ahead while we were left struggling to catch our breath. Mind you, we were only a few steps away from the information center. Haha!

I'm also grateful that I came prepared. I had my waterproof backpack and jacket, water, a cap, food, and a trusty hiking stick. Bringing or purchasing a hiking stick before the trip was truly a wise decision, especially on these slippery slopes.
Another thing I'm grateful for is that miracles do happen. When we started our hike, the rain subsided, and when we were almost at the top, the sky cleared up, allowing us to enjoy the view while hiking. Interestingly, there were small stalls along the way that tempted my male colleagues not to finish the hike and just have a bottle of beer.

But of course, since we started this hike, we had to finish it. So, they tried to encourage themselves that they would definitely enjoy more than just a bottle when we finally made it to Argao.
When we were planning this trip, I mentally prepared myself for a long journey. Surprisingly, the entire route turned out to be quite short. It wasn't even a difficult trail to begin with. In fact, my succeeding hikes after this one were more intense. So, if you're a novice like us, I'm sure it'll be easy peasy for you.
When we finally reached the summit, we lined up to capture these beautiful scenery overlooking the mountains and seas of the island of Cebu. 

I had such big smiles in these photos, but honestly, my knees were shaking because below us was a cliff, and one wrong step would plummet you to death.
I'm just so grateful that I'm finally crossing this one off my bucket list.

Never did I imagine that on a random spur-of-the-moment decision with my colleagues, I would conquer Cebu's highest peak. Despite the challenging start, we were blessed to witness such magnificent views.
After everyone was satisfied and had their chance for a photo op, we finally headed down. On the way, we saw some kids selling wild strawberries that we decided to try. They were small, some sweet and some sour, with shallow insides - not bad at all.
After our hike, we hopped back on our motorbikes to return to the city center for lunch before heading to the municipality of Argao. There, we rented a beachfront house where we would be staying for the rest of the weekend.

We also visited their public market to gather supplies for our boodle fight later in the evening. So yes, we prepared a feast for everyone to enjoy.
We couldn't help but admire the sunset. After the tiring hike, it was indeed a reward to soak in the clear waters of Argao.

While we were enjoying ourselves, our male colleagues were busy preparing the grilled pork and chicken because they needed their pulutan. After a quick dip, I joined my other colleagues in preparing and cooking our food.
At first, we were concerned that the food wouldn't be enough for the group, but we were relieved to find that there was more than plenty, and we all ended up feeling full from the meal. It was truly a weekend we all deserved.
After the meal and a long chitchat, I hit the sack since your tita is too old for this. Too bad I missed the flavored beer they prepared especially for me.

The next day, we took it slow, especially since others were still a little hungover after the booze they had. We also got to witness the daily life of the residents and fishermen as they worked together to make a catch. And before returning to our everyday life in the city, we took one final dip in the waters.

Reflecting on this weekend getaway fills my heart with gratitude and contentment. From conquering Cebu's highest peak to enjoying the simple pleasures of beachside living in Argao, every moment was a treasure.

Thank you to everyone who made this trip unforgettable – from my adventurous companions to the kind locals who welcomed us with open arms.

Until our next escapade, may we continue to seek adventure, cherish each moment, and embrace the magic of the journey. Here's to more adventures and unforgettable memories ahead!

0 comments