THE WAY YOU YAWN, AND THE OUTCRY OF PEACE | The RADWIMPS Manila Concert 2024


May 1, 2024
Radwimps World Tour 2024 
Smart Araneta Coliseum

I couldn't be more grateful that not even a year has passed, and I'm already attending my second concert. It's still surreal that now, as a young adult, I can finally attend these concerts that I used to only dream of during my teenage years. While I haven't been posting much on this blog, if you've been here before, you know how much I love Japanese music or Japan in general. And as an Anime Otaku, it has become my mission to attend these Japanese concerts.

It was around January this year when Pulp made the big announcement that they are bringing the Philippine debut of one of the biggest Japanese bands - Radwimps. Most of you might recognize their songs from internationally acclaimed anime films like "Your Name", "Weathering with You", and "Suzume". I won't claim that I'm their biggest fan because I'm not, and again, I only know a few songs from them, mostly from Makoto Shinkai movies.

Securing the ticket was no joke. It was partly my mistake that I almost didn't manage to secure one because I forgot the selling date. Fortunately, a friend of mine whom I met during the OOR Concert contacted me on Facebook to check if I had secured the ticket just hours before it sold out. Naturally, I panicked and immediately stopped what I was doing to get my ticket. I was even more stressed out when my first few tries kept showing "sold out." So, I just kept refreshing the site, trying my luck for available tickets until I secured my gold standing ticket. It was a little higher than my initial budget, but hey, I might as well give the standing crowd a try.
If I'll be honest, I still could not believe I was there. I mean, I faced so many obstacles in the weeks before the concert that I even put my ticket up for sale, thinking I wouldn't be able to attend it. But thank you, universe, for conspiring and aligning everything so that I was still able to attend it.

As usual, I chose the earliest and most affordable flight to Manila, and I'm thrilled that I had the opportunity to witness such a magnificent sunrise. I arrived quite early, and the good thing is that this time I was more familiar with the area since the event was held at the same venue as OOR. So, no one got scammed—lol. Also, fortunately, the previous Airbnb that I booked was available on that day, and no prior guests were checked in, so I was able to check in early. It was also the perfect opportunity for me to rest and organize my stuff for my trip after the concert, as everything was last-minute and I never had time to prepare. I will also be sharing about the places I went to, so please stay tuned.
So, remember the friend I mentioned earlier? Well, she also managed to secure a ticket, so we decided to go together. Gen is from Benguet, in the north of the Philippines, so she also traveled a long way just to attend the concert. Who would have thought that our brief interaction would lead us from being strangers to becoming friends? It's amazing how our shared love for Japanese music has brought us together. I'm so accustomed to being alone, not in a negative sense, that it was a comforting feeling to have someone to relate to.
So we went to the venue around lunchtime to have lunch and scroll around to see if there are any fan events going on. Also, I had to get my strap so I could enter later in the afternoon when the gates open. Too bad I didn't get a queue number as it's only for the first 500 people.

We took tons of photos as mementos, which I'm thrilled about because finally, I could have decent photos while traveling. Haha... The perks of having someone to take your pictures.
I also got to sign the banner that fans will be giving to the band. I don't want to miss this because I did last time. Funny enough, I was too excited that I could finally write on it that I didn't even prepare what I would be writing. So, I was racking my brain while lining up in the queue for my turn. I hope it's readable because it was hard to write on fabric.
Hours before the gates opened, those with standing tickets had to line up in advance to secure a good spot at the venue. This wasn't my favorite part, as the queue was long and humid. Though it started raining, it didn't help much. I was even a little envious of Gen because she didn't have to queue, having a seated ticket. So next time, I will definitely opt for the seated ticket.
I know that the end doesn't justify the means, and I'm truly sorry for breaking the rules and even getting scolded. So, I took snaps and clips at the concert that almost got me into trouble. But I can't help thinking it was a little unfair because the ones in front of us weren't scolded. Anyway, I know what I did was wrong.

When it started, I wasn't vibing with the first four songs. They were good, but once again, they were something I wasn't familiar with. Nevertheless, I tried to enjoy myself and appreciate this new music.
Gradually, I found myself thoroughly enjoying the entire concert. I began to sing, dance, jump, and truly vibe with the songs. I even discovered some new favorites that I have added to my playlist. Their music is so wonderful that I feel a twinge of regret for not knowing it earlier.

Additionally, what I admire the most about them is that their main vocalist, Yojiro, seems to be a very kind and genuine person. It's a shame that due to the loud crowd, he was not able to finish his message to the fans, which was quite disappointing, but it left a lasting impression on me. His sincerity and warmth still lingered despite the interruption, resonating deeply within.
It's just really sad that it had to end. Even though Gen and I had different tickets, we both had an unforgettable night.

I'm grateful I captured some clips on my phone; they let me relive the magic. They didn't play one of their famous songs, 'Grand Escape,' but that's okay. I'm just happy I got to experience live performances of most of Makoto Shinkai's songs and their special guest, Toaka.

If you're interested in listening to their Manila setlist, you can check out this Spotify playlist.


Even now that I'm back in Cebu, their songs keep playing on repeat. I guess post-concert blues are real. I'm eagerly looking forward to attending more (Japanese) concerts in the future.

0 comments