To those who knew the younger version of me, the main thing they always remember is a shy, geeky girl who loved all things kawaii, pastel, books, anime, and Japan. Honestly, I’m still very much that same person today—just a little less shy! (Which I didn't even realize, by the way, until my old acquaintances pointed it out.) Oh, and please don't ask how old I am right now; I’m still trying to come to terms with the fact that the number is getting serious.
Anyway, I haven't shared much of that side of me lately, mostly because I’m still figuring out how I ended up on the complete opposite side of the map—specifically with all the outdoor side quests that have somehow become my lifestyle. Don't get me wrong, I still love everything I grew up with; I've just also grown to love exploring beyond my comfort zone.
So, before I get completely sidetracked, I’m so excited to share another Japanophile entry on the blog! My favorite Japanese band, ONE OK ROCK, kept their promise to return to the Philippines for another concert—this time for their new album, Detox. If you're curious about how I became such a huge fan, you might want to read about my experience at their Luxury Disease Manila concert, which also happened to be my very first concert! (Click here)
Just like my first ONE OK ROCK concert experience, I had so many hiccups just trying to attend this year's show. But again, Universe—I'm beyond grateful to you for always, and I mean always conspiring with me to make things work despite all the challenges I encountered.
To mention two major challenges just to attend this concert, top of the list was the concert ticket. Not because I didn't have the money at that time, but because of the two major calamities that hit Cebu last year. From one of the strongest and scariest earthquakes to a deadly typhoon that swept away homes and the lives of so many Cebuanos... it would be just very irrational of me to spend money when you're uncertain of the future, especially when aftershocks were still being felt months after it happened.
I'm so grateful that my friend Gen, whom I met during their last concert, offered to buy the ticket so we wouldn't run out while I was still trying to figure things out, so I secured my ticket!
Aside from that, the one thing that almost made me not attend was when I found out, a month before the concert, that we had to move out of our shared flat because the entire building needed to be renovated. That threw off everything I planned for the first six months of the year—hence me being MIA on my socials and here.
Anyhow, it's over now, and what's left for me is to take the lessons I had to learn.
So the concert was last March 4 at the MOA Arena in Pasay. If I'm not mistaken, this was where they had two of their previous concerts in the Philippines as well. It was also my first time experiencing such a big arena, so I was super excited! I don't know why their concerts are always set on a weekday, but since this one was on a Wednesday, I took a 3-day PTO to make the most of the trip. Combined with the weekend, I got to stay in Manila for five and a half days! I even did a little side quest after the concert, which I'll be sharing once I figure out how to sort through all my files.
Anyway, straight from my night shift at work, I rushed to the airport to catch my flight. I knew it was going to be a long, sleepless day, but for ONE OK ROCK, I would do it all over again! What kept my mind off the tiredness, though, was knowing that this time I wasn't attending alone. Aside from Gen, I was also attending with my high school friend Dereen—the very same one I used to geek out with over anime and Japan back in high school!
I didn't have much of an itinerary for the first two days—it was just me attending the concert on the first day and resting on the second. I used to think that resting during a trip was a waste of time, but when you're almost a trentahin, (there, I said it!) rest is an absolute must.
Luckily, Dereen had a checklist of things she wanted to do before the concert since she only had a day in Manila before flying back home to Cebu. I happily tagged along with her since I was trying to conserve my energy while still experiencing something new—things I wouldn't have tried or that wouldn't have even crossed my mind if it weren't for her.
It was just a simple list of places she wanted to visit, shop at, and dine. Which altered my brain chemistry in a good way, because I used to think I had to do major itineraries when traveling, when in fact, you can just plan the most random and simple activities!
Though, I do have a major reminder to myself: if we happen to travel together again, even if it's for less than a day, there's a high possibility that we will be broke by the end of it. Why? Because we don't know how to say no! If you like something, get it. If you want to try that food, order it. We fully enable each other's impulsive buying. Lol!
Anyway, I'm getting sidetracked again! Later in the afternoon, we headed to the arena for a bit to check out the official merch since we were planning to buy some. There was an insane queue when we got there, especially for walk-ins, but luckily it was well-managed and moved pretty fast.
Unfortunately, I ended up not buying anything because the t-shirt design I wanted was already sold out, and most of the available designs and sizes left were two sizes bigger than mine!
After checking out the official merch, we finally headed to Dereen's accommodation to check in, since it was near the venue and we could rest a bit before the show. I actually had a separate accommodation from her because I got so busy that I forgot to book early— and mind you, I had to stay in Manila for 5 days! So I decided to stay in a hostel to save money. Unfortunately, I didn't know it was quite far from the concert venue, even though on Maps it looked near. Lol.
So I asked Dereen if I could freshen up and leave my stuff in the condo for the concert, and then head to my accommodation after. She gladly said yes! But I actually ended up staying for the night because I was completely dead after the concert. Since I didn't want to burden her or get her in trouble, I paid a portion of the stay. I know I was trying to save, but it was a wise decision since I had been awake for the last 24 hours and my body was suddenly shutting down.
While getting ready, I couldn't help but feel proud that I was able to pull off the look I was aiming for. Aside from getting nail extensions done for the first time, I had to visit multiple shops and ukays just to find the specific top for the OOTD I wanted, especially since the top I ordered online didn't arrive on time. Overall, I loved my outfit so much!
Once we were all set, we headed back to the venue where I met up with Gen, who had just arrived from Baguio. I still couldn't believe that just because of our shared love for Japanese music and ONE OK ROCK, we met and became friends. I also got to meet her friends, so I was making new acquaintances too! It was still such a surreal feeling getting to attend their concert for the second time. I don't know... hearing them live was just an unexplainable experience.
When we were seated, you knew it was the real deal when you heard the mic-check guy doing his thing. I loved how the audience was already hyping up way before the show even started!
Unlike their last concert where I just bought the ticket and showed up on the day with little to no expectations since it was my first time, this time around, I actually looked up the setlist from the shows prior to the Manila stop of their Asian tour because I wanted to come prepared and sing along. But it made me realize: no concert experience is the same, even if it's the same band you've witnessed once or more. It just gets better and better.
What I really love about this band is they don't just showcase their talent and create music for the sake of creating music. They use their music to convey messages that are so timely with what's happening in the world... never afraid to speak up and stand for what's right. The Detox album is not just songs, it's a message that gives you hope, strength, and a reminder that we are human, full of emotion. With 13 tracks, each with its own message—though I love them all—my favorites would be "Party's Over," "Tiny Pieces," and "The Pilot </3."
Of course, aside from their Detox album, they played a few songs from their previous albums too. Though it's still a dream of mine to hear "Heartache" live... maybe one day!
Sadly, Taka was obviously not feeling well during the entire concert, but he still tried his best to give us the absolute best performance he could... and of course, Ryota, Toru, and Tomoya did too. I believe there were a few songs from the Asia setlist that weren't played, which left us feeling like it was cut short and wanting more. But in a way, it was okay because his health comes first. It still breaks my heart when I remember Taka grabbing his inhaler in between songs, then performing again like it was nothing. And mind you, Manila was only their third stop out of nine countries!
Overall, it was an amazing performance! Idk where I got my energy, but I was standing, dancing, and rocking out the whole time. Though, I do have to apologize to the people in front of me when I had to ask them to sit down at the start of the show. I just couldn't see from where I was seated, and if I stood up right then, the people behind me wouldn't be able to see either! But once everyone got rocking and rolling, it was all good and absolutely lit.
Wrapping up my second ONE OK ROCK experience with a grateful heart, not just to the universe, but to everyone who made this concert experience so memorable. Taka promised that it's not a goodbye and that they will definitely be back. And when that time comes, even if I get no sleep again for 24 hours straight, I will do it all over again. Until then, I will treasure these memories.
0 comments